Senda Verde Permaculture Eco Center

Wednesday 23 June 2010

The Peach and Raison Jam Jam

I have two small peach tress that have been bursting with fruit.

I did the main harvest yesterday and got 6 kg of sweet tasty peaches which Ive been enjoying on my muslie in the mornings. I bought a pressure cooker last week with just such a moment as this in mind. It was time to try my hand at jam making and preserving my summer bounties for winter leanties.

I got this receipt from the internet and added the raisons and lemon juice myself. I cooked the fruit and lemon juice slowly before adding the sugar and then brought to the boil and let it boil for 15 mins.
I should have left it longer as the jam didnt set, got to reread that bit on setting points and dropping spoons and saucers again, so ive frozen this lot and it will be used for crumbles or fruit flans.

Im happy with my first attempt and looking at the fruit trees it will be the plums turn next.
Anyone got an easy plum jam receipt?

How its meant to look...next time

Ingredients

2 kg peaches
2 kg sugar
Juice 2 lemons
2 cups of raisons

Directions

Bring water to a boil. Put peaches in the boiling water for just 1 minute or under. Take them out with a slotted spoon and place them in cold water. Peel and slice peaches. Discard peach pits. Put peaches into a large (wide-open) heavy bottom pot and add the sugar. Bring to a boil. Continue to boil mixture and stir frequently. Mixture will thicken in approximately 45 minutes to an hour. As mixture thicken, you must stir more frequently to ensure that it does not stick to the bottom of the pot. To test whether the jam is ready, place a cold metal spoon in the mixture and tilt. The jam should form a single stream.

Note: The faster you cook the jam the brighter the color will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Truth WareHouse