Senda Verde Permaculture Eco Center

Sunday 1 August 2010

Carmela and Joe create the first new life on Senda Verde

After a nights sleep and a good feed for both Mum and pup


Carmela and puppy, Joes not allowed near yet

Saturday afternoon Carmela my 1 year old bitch came into the kitchen and laid herself out on the sofa. She had been showing signs for the last few days, nest building and general agitation and she hadnt touched her food the night before.

Carmela never comes inside the house so when I saw her on the sofa and panting heavily I sprung into action and got all the old sheets and towels I had laid aside for this moment and made her a comfy nest.

Just a few minutes old and yet to home in on the nipple

It was only around 10 minutes after when the head appeared, I cleared the placenta from the pups head and Carmela did the rest, what a moment, my old faithful dog Joe was banished outside and Carmela and our new addition have taken up residence in the kitchen.

Mum and pup sleeping happily

Last night was comfortable for all concerned I slept just a meter away from them and Carmela drank plenty and eat a few dried biscuits, this morning she had a bowl full of dried food and puppy has been suckling and sleeping. With no competition as a 1 pup litter the wee fellow will be packing on the weight.

Its a great start for the future as animals are a major part of my off grid self suffciency plans and also the first time ive assisted at a birth. I hope they all go as smoothly as this one did.

3 comments:

  1. Congratiolations on the little one. Sweet dog to come inside and look for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felicitaciones!!! Crece la familia Senda Verde, me alegro mucho. Besos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Fraser. You are now grandfather, or almost !! Hope to see everybody soon !

    ReplyDelete

The Truth WareHouse